Welcome!

Welcome to my allergy-safe food blog. I am not a professional chef, just a wife and mother with allergies who happens to like food. A lot. I would love suggestions and feedback as I wander this path of new food choices, so please feel free to leave a comment.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Chocolate-Cherry Cookies... Mmmm.

This recipe is the first truly satisfying gf treat I successfully made after finding out that I was allergic to gluten milk, and eggs. It is an adaptation I found on the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free recipe site. The cookies come out with a nice texture (fudgy but not too dense), and a wonderful balance of sweetness and richness.



I would recommend that you not taste the cookie dough, though. The garbanzo flour has a ... well, unique... taste, but it isn't noticable after the cookies are baked.



Without further ado,



Chocolate-Cherry Cookies


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment (or lightly grease).

Mix together and set aside:


1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/4 cup potato starch
2 Tbsp. tapioca flour
1 tsp. xanthum gum
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt


Cream together:

1/2 cup (1 stick) dairy free margerine (I use Nucoa), softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed

Add to sugar mixture and blend until mixed:

1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

Slowly add flour mixture to sugar mixture and blend until thoroughly mixed. Gently fold in:

1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
1/4 cup dried tart cherries

Using a cookie scoop, place dough on cookie sheets about 2" apart. Bake 10-12 minutes until puffed and cracked. Cool on baking sheet five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Store cooled cookies in an airtight container.

Makes 24 cookies.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness were these good! I can't wait to make these for my vegan friend!

    ReplyDelete